after posting some pictures on facebook of my post-it holders, i was asked to do a tutorial. now i may have gone overboard on the instructions, but felt i'd better cover all the bases. first off, i can't take full credit for the 'how to'. forgive me, but i forgot to make a note of the lady who shared hers with instructions. if it is 'you', i'll be happy to acknowledge you and give you credit. meanwhile, i've added a few of my own instructions to step it up to 'my' liking.
the finished holder. (yeh, i'm a little backwards)
with good quality heavy black cardstock, you can get 3 base holders from one 8 1/2" x 11" sheet.
base is: 7 1/2" x 3 1/4"
scored at: 3 1/2" and 4"
choose your design and papers. i love graphic 45 papers. everything co-ordinates and it makes it easy to pull together. but there are many 'kit's and pads that you can work with. i'll probably move on to other styles one day, but for now, this just sets right with me. i cut my mats at 3" x 3 3/4" with a 1/4" for the middle of the holder 'inside and out'. not only does it look nice, but strengthens the whole thing as well. you can mat again over this with a 2 3/4" by 3". i didn't in this particular one, but in some of the pics of the other holders, you can see that i did!
embellishing these are fun. here, i used art philosophy to cut the flowers at default size. (i think it was 2 1/2") use whatever you want. buttons, bling, jewelry....whatever!
i make alot of my own chipboard. this is just cardboard from boxes, cereal, whatever i can get my hands on....i save it all! i just a couple to the thickness i want, glue together, then glue to the back of what i want 'popped up'. easy peasy. just cut it a little smaller than what you're 'popping up'.
putting it together. this is fun. i ran into a problem where i didn't have the color bling to match my flower. luckily, i had some acrylic paints. (i think i had this for 2 yrs and the seal was still on it...lol) i had some martha stewart off white gems and i just stuck them on some scrap paper so i could dip them in the bottle of paint. lordy, it was messy, and i worked right over my waste basket...it took me a few times of moving it around and heating it til i got it where i wanted it. they're not as shiny as i'd like. haven't figured out how to do that yet. but i got the color i wanted. yay me! this is the first time i've done this! i love it! a little messy, but heck, you'll get a perfect match if you own all the colors...hahaha..oh brother!
now i don't know about you, but i don't and never have trusted the little sticky pads on the bottom of bling. i've been taking mine off and using my scotch quick dry glue for yrs. it can be a challenge, and i've poked myself many times spilling my precious blood....'oh never mind'...just be careful. the sticky pads don't stay sticky and they 'will' come off. so this is why i take mine off and glue.
wow! my fingers look like a crafter.
next, and lastly, just add a couple strips of glue. i use my ATG gun. apply the post it squarely and up to the first scor-line so it's a snug, clean fit. no gaps.
there you have it. i hope you make some and share your pics. i'm always open for more ideas.
thanks for visiting. feel free to leave a comment.
oh...before i go, i want to show you some other post-it note holders i've made. i hope they inspire you to make some.